Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm: July 2000:
not a valid filename

To: hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: not a valid filename
From: Takashi Hasegawa <takasiha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:54:09 +0900

Hi!

 I am using HP49G and pc connectivity kit on Japanease version windows98.
 When I try to copy file from pc to HP49G, "not a valid filename"
 error is occurred.
 Of course, I do not use two-byte characters for the file name.
 I tried several connection softwares and I found the following
 software works well even on Japanease version windows98.

 http://www.hp48.bismarck.k12.nd.us/pc/link/
 HPComm 2.4 (big version)

 Thank you.
 Takashi Hasegawa

hideyuki_bingo/OMRONJP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello!
> I am owner of HP48GX.
> I tried to transfer a file from the computer to HP48GX.
> Then,I have "not a valid filename" message from PC connectivity kit.
> I changed a file name,but problem did not solve.
> Please tell me how I ought to.

Dear Hideyuki,

Thankyou for writing to us.

The HP48GX calculator is rather fussy about the characters that
may appear in the names of files stored on the calculator.
I suspect that in your case, HPComm is saying that it doesn't
like the the 2-byte characters used on Japanese computers.

When HPComm detects that the calculator did not like a
certain name, it offers you the chance to transfer that file
under another name.  Although I haven't tested this, I suspect
that there is a bug in this area of HPComm.  (We also received
another similar report from Japan this week).

Could you do me a favour please?  Could you send to the
hpcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list, the file you are trying
to transfer to the calculator please?

>From this I can find out the name of the file, and exactly
why HPComm is not behaving correctly.