Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: hpcomm-dev: October 2001:
HPComm3.0r4 Bug--PC file replace length error

To: hpcomm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HPComm3.0r4 Bug--PC file replace length error
From: "Irl W Smith" <Irl_W_Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:17:11 -0400

  I'm sending this report in although I don't know if anyone is still
monitoring this list -- if someone is, I'd be grateful for at least an
acknowledgement.
Bug report title:
  HPComm 3.0r4 makes a length error when replacing a file on the PC.
  Do the following:
------------
  Create a file on the PC (by uploading from HP-48, which was the case I
tested, or other means).
  Create an object on the HP-48 having the same name. (The test case I ran
was with the object in the HOME directory, but I don't think that matters.)
  Run HPComm and upload the object from the HP-48 to the PC by dragging it
from the lower right pane to the upper right pane.
  After the transfer completes, a dialog notes the existence of a duplicate
file and asks whether it should be replaced; answer "yes".
------------
  Note that this would be a typical operation if, e.g., you are working on
a program on the HP and are uploading it to the PC to print from time to
time.
  Bug: The file saved has the wrong length, namely, the same length as the
one supposedly replaced.
Case 1.
  If the new upload is shorter than the pre-existing PC file, the new
upload replaces the first part of the contents of the PC file. The
remainder of the PC file, up to the original length, contains garbage.
(There is some resemblance between the garbage and the original contents of
the tail of the PC file.)
Case 2.
  If the new upload is longer than the pre-existing PC file, the first part
of the new upload replaces the contents of the PC file. The length of the
file is again not changed and remains as in the pre-existing PC file. I
don't know where the rest of the upload goes and I hope it doesn't get
written to the hard disk following the part I can see, but given the error
in Case 1 I do fear that that might have happened. Hello, hard disk
corruption?
  ,_______     Irl W. Smith            <opticsmith@xxxxxxxx>
 (/_|_/|_/    Raytheon Lexington Labs   Phone: +1 781 860 3136
 /__|/_|/)   131 Spring Street            FAX: +1 781 860 3233
_ _ _ _ _ _ Lexington, MA 02421 USA