Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2009:
Re: Comparison Chart

To: Jeff_W <simple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: curl-web@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Comparison Chart
From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@****.se>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:42:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Jeff_W wrote:

> The snarf tool supports the gopher protocol; curl doesn't.  Silly as it may
> seem, some of us still use gopher and in fact they're several gopher servers
> and related search/archiving tools being actively worked on (see
> http://gopher.floodgap.com).

Thanks, I've added a line for gopher now. It seems like Pavuk and lftp support
it too.

> I don't think it would be too hard to add gopher:// support to curl; perhaps
> you'll consider it?

curl once supported gopher. After very many years I noticed that the support
was broken, and since not a single soul had reported it I drew the conclusion
that nobody cared so instead of putting in work and fix the problems I decided
to drop it instead.

I wouldn't mind re-introducing support for gopher, but I won't do it by
myself.

---

Jeff