Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2009:
[gopher] Re: Gopher support in curl gone

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher support in curl gone
From: Philipp Schafft <lion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 22:30:30 +0200

reflum,
On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 14:20 -0500, Brian Koontz wrote:
> Despite having a version of curl on OS X (Panther) that supports
> gopher, upon building the latest libcurl stuff on a Linux box, it
> turns out that gopher hasn't been supported since at least 2006:

>         * docs/KNOWN_BUGS: Gopher is no longer supported

>         * CHANGES, RELEASE-NOTES, configure.ac, curl-config.in, docs/FAQ,
>           docs/FEATURES, docs/INSTALL, docs/MANUAL, docs/curl-config.1,
>           docs/curl.1, docs/libcurl/libcurl.m4, lib/setup.h, lib/url.c,
>           lib/urldata.h, lib/version.c,
>           packages/Linux/RPM/curl-ssl.spec.in,
>           packages/Linux/RPM/curl.spec.in, packages/Win32/cygwin/README,
>           perl/contrib/checklinks.pl.in, tests/README, tests/runtests.pl:
>           David Shaw finally removed all traces of Gopher and we are now
>           officially not supporting it. It hasn't been functioning for
>           years anyway, so this is just finally stating what already was
>           true. And a cleanup at the same time.
>
> Guess we let this one slip by.  curl has always been the no-nonsense,
> "go to" command line app for just about any protocol.  This might be a
> worthy project for someone, to "unpatch" libcurl for gopher support.

Ok, thanks for the info. Now I have another good resone not to support
it by using libcurl. They claim to be 'universal'. Not supporting
protocolls because they are *not yet* implemnted its ok in case you
clame something like this. but removing protocols is against thisl goal.
And this is much more true in case of a protocol as simple as gopher.

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part