Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2009:
[gopher] Re: Writing a gopherd for Fellig.org: menu size

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Writing a gopherd for Fellig.org: menu size
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

> flum,
> I'm currently writing a gopherd for Fellig.org.
> It needs to handle a lot of 'files' (most of the data is in a DB).
>
> I asked my self for a good maximum size for menus.
> How many documents/dirs/links/... should I include per menu?
>
> should I use sub'directorys' like this: /foo/d/de/dea/deadbeef.bar
> or is there something better?
>
> (I will post the link to it as soon as it become productive)

I'm not sure if you're asking selector length or display string length.
Selector length is essentially unlimited by the spec, although URL
pressures tend to keep it under 1K. However, the UMN gopherd client will
elide display strings longer than 66 characters or so.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx