Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: September 2008:
[gopher] Re: Multilingual Gopher Support (was Re: Gopherness)

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Multilingual Gopher Support (was Re: Gopherness)
From: Nicholas Shanks <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 00:54:16 +0200

I switched it to UTF-8 with BOM and although the BOM appears in FF2
(as a '?' at the start of the file), it now looks fine in lynx.
The characters in question obviously weren't 7-bit ASCII, I had two
'é's on one line, and the output in lynx was that the links drawn
didn't match the links that were highlighted when you pressed 'down',
such that navigating the page produced erroneous drawing in the
terminal.
I have also since discovered that URLs such as /h/linguistics/yolÅ?u/
are not requested correctly. No URL escaping of the unicode characters
is performed, and ^K whatever that's supposed to mean: '/h/linguistics/
yol^Ku' instead of  '/h/linguistics/yol%C5%8Bu/'.

On 29 Sep 2008, at 4:52 pm, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>>> I've had a problem for a while related to character sets.
>>> My root gophermap is encoded as ISO 8859-1, but for some reason =20
>>> characters appear broken when viewed with lynx and Firefox 2. My =20
>>> server is bucktooth 0.2.4
>> *what* characters appear broken? :) (in my mutt, your mail has '=20',
>> whatever that is)
>
> Looks like some of the quoted-printable leaked into the main message
> body ...
>
>>> How do I tell the client which encoding to use?
>
>> You can't. However, ISO-8859-1 should be about the best choice...
>> especially if you don't use any non-7-bit characters :)
>
> Right. It may also depend on the version of Perl you use, but even
> old Perls
> should still be okay with that (utf-8 is another story).
>
> --
> ------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/
>  --
>  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> -- This message will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim.

â?? Nicholas Shanks.

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s