Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: July 2008:
[gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Item Type Suggestions
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:22:10 -0700 (PDT)

> The GIF and image types are necessary because they tell the browser
> that an image can be displayed in an image viewer (e.g. within a
> graphical browser) and doesn't needed to be passed to another kind of
> handler. Filetype sniffing is IE's mark of the beast which should
> absolutely not be allowed to contaminate any other protocol.

Or, for that matter, so it can be passed to any handler accurately. But
I'm fully in agreement with the basic premise.

I seem to have opened up a can of worms with this topic. :-P

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing, but mean your mother. -----------