Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: May 2008:
[gopher] Gopher protocol confusion?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Gopher protocol confusion?
From: Michael Casadevall <sonicmctails@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 00:04:08 -0400

As I work to implement my libgopher, I'm kinda confused on what seems to
be an extension to the gopher protocol by pyGopherd.

Here's the results of talking to gopher://castleinfinity.org and
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com

mcasadevall@siren:~/libgopher/build$ telnet gopher.floodgap.com 70
Trying 66.159.214.138...
Connected to helsinki.floodgap.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

iWelcome to Floodgap Systems' official gopher server.       error.host  1
iFloodgap has been serving the gopher community since       error.host  1
i1999 (formerly gopher.ptloma.edu).     error.host  1
i       error.host  1
iWe run Bucktooth 0.2.4 on inetd as our server system.      error.host  1
igopher.floodgap.com is an Apple Power Macintosh 7300 with      error.host  1
ia G3/500 processor and 1GB RAM running NetBSD/macppc.      error.host  1
iSend questions on server maintenance to        error.host  1
i       error.host  1
i        gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx        error.host  1
i       error.host  1
0Does this gopher menu look correct?    /gopher/proxy   gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(plus using the Floodgap Public Gopher Proxy)      error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1Getting started with gopher, software, more    /gopher gopher.floodgap.com 70
0Using web browsers in Gopherspace  /gopher/wbgopher    gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(why you shouldn't use Internet Explorer, and other        error.host  1
iuseful tips for gopher newbies)        error.host  1
1Gopher clients for various platforms   /gopher/clients gopher.floodgap.com 70
i       error.host  1
1Keep Gopher support in Mozilla Core    /gopher/keepcore    gopher.floodgap.com
70
iPlease show your support for Gopher by lending your voice.     error.host  1
i(updated 21 August 2007)       error.host  1
1Floodgap Gopher Statistics Project /gstats gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(monthly traffic analysis of the Floodgap Public Gopher Proxy      error.host
1
ifor community advocacy purposes; updates monthly)      error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1Search Gopherspace with Veronica-2 and VISHNU  /v2 gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(updated with robot updates)       error.host  1
1All the gopher servers (that we know of)   /world  gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(updated with robot updates)       error.host  1
1New Gopher servers since 1999  /new    gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(updated 28 May 2008)      error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1Weather forecasts via Floodgap Groundhog   /groundhog  gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(updates occur throughout the day)     error.host  1
1News and headline feeds via Flood Feeds    /feeds  gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(updates occur daily/regularly)        error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1Mirrors and file archives  /archive    gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(includes external archives)       error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1The Bucktooth gopher server    /buck   gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(version 0.2.4 released 8 April 2008)      error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1Floodgap Gopher Fun and Games  /fun    gopher.floodgap.com 70
i(with the Gopher Figlet gateway and Twitpher,      error.host  1
ithe Twitter->gopher interface)     error.host  1
i       error.host  1
1The Floodgap Free Software License /ffsl   gopher.floodgap.com 70
0Where's Floodgap? (not for hatemail ;-)    /whereis    gopher.floodgap.com 70
0"/usr/bin/tail" our gopher server log  /recent gopher.floodgap.com 70
0RIP, Master gopher at University of Minnesota  /umngone    gopher.floodgap.com
70
hFloodgap.com (Web pages)   URL:http://www.floodgap.com/    gopher.floodgap.com
70
i       error.host  1
iPlease note that this gopher is now an independent     error.host  1
ientity and is no longer affiliated with Point Loma     error.host  1
iNazarene University.       error.host  1
.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Here's what I get from castleinfinity.org
mcasadevall@siren:~/libgopher/build$ telnet castleinfinity.org 70
Trying 63.197.174.46...
Connected to castleinfinity.org.
Escape character is '^]'.

iWelcome to the Castle Infinity Gopher site!    fake    (NULL)  0
i   fake    (NULL)  0
iRecent News:   fake    (NULL)  0
iB36 MR1 released and broke everyone! - mcasadevall (05/28/08)  fake    (NULL)  0
i   fake    (NULL)  0
iGame Information:  fake    (NULL)  0
0What Is It /What_Is_It castleinfinity.org  70  +
0Backstory  /Backstory  castleinfinity.org  70  +
1Download Castle Infinity   /Download   castleinfinity.org  70  +
0About Us   /About_Us   castleinfinity.org  70  +
i   fake    (NULL)  0
iLinks: fake    (NULL)  0
hCastle Infinity Homepage   /URL:http://castleinfinity.org  castleinfinity.org
70
hOffical Forums /URL:http://castleinfinity.org/forums   castleinfinity.org  70
i   fake    (NULL)  0
Connection closed by foreign host.

What are those freaking +'s. They don't appear in RFC1436 vvv
Michael