Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2008:
[gopher] Re: JumpJet Gopher going away?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: JumpJet Gopher going away?
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:15:28 -0700 (PDT)

This Private Hong Kong University was one of the very few remaining Educational
Gopher Servers that listed contact information (I urge EVERYONE to please place
a contact email address on their server so they can be contacted by other
administrators if necessary,
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Begin_Here\References\Standard_Informational_Files.txt
  ).

  I noticed this message a while ago, and sent an email to the administrators
imploring them to keep the server running, as it was a quality source of
information that was linked in several places on Gopher Jewels 2.  It appears
however that they could care less, and have pulled the plug on their Gopher
Server.

  Lets hope that the Gopherspace archivers have grabbed a copy of this server
prior to its shutting down (and FYI, there have been several JumpJet updates,
so please send your archiving spiders back over onto JumpJet).

Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > I noticed this file in JumpJet's root directory :
>
> > Dear visitors
> > Thanks for visiting our site
> > Most information contained in this Gopher Page have been
> > transferred and updated in our Web page
> > (URL:http://www.hkbu.edu.hk) Only very little information
> > is kept in Gopher for internal reference only.
> >
> > The University will be phasing out the Gopher page
> > completely in the near future.
> >
> > Information Technology Services Centre
> Are JumpJet's days in gopherspace numbered? Is there or can we find an
> alternate host for at least Gopher Jewels 2?
Isn't JumpJet gopher://home.jumpjet.info/ ?

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- I'm too old to use emacs. -- Rod MacDonald ---------------------------------