Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] OverbiteFF lives!

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] OverbiteFF lives!
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:35:27 -0800 (PST)

OverbiteFF made its first access today:

        gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/I/overbiteff.jpg

It's primitive but it's starting to come together. XPCOM does NOT make this
easy to implement and I had five or six false starts before this "Hello,
world" example. I still have Brendan Eich's picture on my dartboard.

The easy part, ironically, is item type 0 and 1 since they directly
translate to HTML. Binary and image item types will take some thought, but
my current brainwave is to offload them to temporary files and throw hidden
file:// URL references. This is byzantine but then so is writing a
cross-platform extension in JavaScript leveraging only stock XPCOM objects :(

I'll be so happy when we have a next-gen client.

  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx
-- There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't. --