Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2008:
[gopher] Re: Troff & ASCII for hypertext?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Troff & ASCII for hypertext?
From: Christoph Lohmann <20h@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:03:04 +0100

Good evening.

Am Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:00:51 +0100
schrieb Pieter Verberne <pieterverberne@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Or possibly 'nroff-style'

There are several "troff2html" converters.

> Another thing: has anyone ever thought about a (hypertext) document
> distribution system via 9P. (from Plan 9) I have never used Plan
> 9/ 9P but I read something about it and I think it just could be
> suitable for such purpose.

9P needs a persistent connection and low latency for being
usable. 9P is more like samba than like Gopher or HTTP.

> Also, websites are often build as a work of art. Like a painting..
> no, more like grafitty. It is just a mess. There is just no awareness
> of typography.)

The web is made for making money and not for pretty printing.
Wherever a webmaster cares for his/her customers he/she adds
support for pretty printing (PDF).

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann