Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2007:
[gopher] Re: Bucktooth questions

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Bucktooth questions
From: brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:48:36 -0500

While we're on the topic:  Does anyone know of a html->gopher
converter?  Something that basically converts HTML tags that can be
converted to RFC 1436-compliant syntax (i.e., prepending the correct
itemtype for links, files, images, etc.), and strips out the rest.

I'm setting up a gopher proxy of sorts for WikkaWiki, and want to be
able to serve up either RFC 1436-compliant pages or wiki pages.  The
assumption here is that Wikka is already set up and running as an HTTP
service; I'm writing a proxy that would intercept a gopher request,
retrieve the wiki page via HTTP, pass it on if it's RFC 1436-compliant, or
convert/strip out html as appropriate.  I just don't like to reinvent
the wheel when I can avoid it.

All of this would probably work better with a flat-file-based wiki
like PmWiki (I'd be able to access pages directly), but I'm partial to
Wikka for a number of reasons...

  --Brian