Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2007:
[gopher] Re: New Server Software

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: New Server Software
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:27:13 -0800 (PST)

I will specifically list license information when its vital to clarify (see:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\References\License for example).
However in most cases the "readme" files included with the software already go
into great detail about the license, so I simply group software into one of the
following three general categories in their "About.txt" file just to give
people an idea of what the included license seems to say:

  Freeware = Software which has been given to the public free of charge
  Shareware = Fully functional software that you are allowed to try before you
buy, but which MUST be purchased at some point.
  Abandonware = Software to which the owner has implied should be Freeware, but
to which the owner has not bothered to make a public statement to that effect
(and in most cases cannot even be contacted to make a statement).

  As always, should you want to contribute to JumpJet (such as offering
downloads, suggesting links to Gopher Jewels 2, commenting on changing
documentation, etc.), we are awaiting your email:
  jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx

Stegozor <stegozor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  JumpJet Mailbox wrote:
> Hope everyone has had a good 2006.
>
> JumpJet has again added another Gopher Server to its vast collection...GS.

Just a suggestion: Would it be possible to add licence information for
these software? Some of them are free & open source under GPL, others
probably simple Freeware. So merely "Freeware" is probably not enough.

Happy new year to all.