Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: November 2006:
[gopher] Re: How do I set up a gopher server under windows?

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: How do I set up a gopher server under windows?
From: JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:01:28 -0800 (PST)

You do not state which version of "Windows" you are using  (i.e., Windows 3x,
Windows 9x such as 95, 98, or ME, or Windows based on NT such as NT, 2000, or
XP).  Several choices for each type of Windows environment can be found at:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers

  I will assume you are talking about Windows based on the NT kernel such as
Windows 2000 or Windows XP.  JumpJet runs a Windows 2000 based platform (due to
its stability over XP; see:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Win2k_Hosting\Why%20Windows%202000.txt ) , and I
use the software "GopherS" as its Gopher Server.  GopherS runs as a "windows
service" on any Windows NT based Windows platform including WIndows XP.  It can
be found at:
  gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Begin_Here\Servers\Windows%20NT\GopherS

  GopherS is probably one of the easiest Gopher Servers you will ever install
or configure (full instructions can be found in the included ""gophers.doc"
file).  Simply download the file "GSI386.ZIP".  Extract the files
"gophers.cpl", "gophers.exe", and "GOPHERS.HLP" and place them in your
"System32" directory.  Now open your control panel and you will see an icon
called "Gopher Server".

  Next you will need to create two folders.  One will be used to store the log
files, and the other the files visible to your Gopher Clients.  The log file
directory will fill up rather quickly, as every day GopherS creates a new log
file for that days activities.  You can of course delete or archive the
previous days logs.

  Anything you place in the Gopher folder will be visible to the Gopher Clients
that connect to you.  They will see all files and sub-directories in this
folder exactly as you add them (I strongly suggest you include the standard
files listed in:
gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Begin_Here\Standard_Informational_Files.txt ).
  The only files that will NOT be visible are the "*.gfr" files which GopherS
uses to create LINKS to resources
  (see: gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Begin_Here\Link_File_Basics.txt ).

  Finally, open the "Gopher Server" icon in Control Panel, add the path to
these two directories, and set the servers Type Mappings.  To start with, you
may wish to map the same Type Mappings as JumpJet uses
  (see: gopher://home.jumpjet.info/00\Contact.txt ).

Eric Newberry <ericnewberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  How do I set up a gopher server under windows?
Eric

Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap  PC-to-Phone call rates.