Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: June 2006:
[gopher] Re: Trying to add a link to jumpjet site

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Trying to add a link to jumpjet site
From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:47:34 -0500

On Wed, 31 May 2006 20:57:40 -0700 (PDT)
JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, JumpJet uses port 70 (and make sure your firewall allows port 70 access,
> as some brands of router close this and several other less common ports by
> default).
>
>   Please note that I believe ALL Gopher sites intended for public Internet
> network access in the new millenium should use port 70.  My reasoning is that
> although most (but not all) dedicated Gopher browsers can use any port, most
> Web browsers are hardcoded to expect Gopher on port 70.  Microsoft Internet
> Explorer for example, which is the client most likely to be used to access an
> Internet Gopher site in 2006, ONLY recognizes Gopher on port 70 (you cannot
> even force another port)!

I think I'd like to disgree and point out web browsers dont make the best
gopher browsers as we know. There are many many gophers _not_ on port 70 and
many reasons to do so. I dont feel we should make some "rule" such as this
(which doesn't exist now) especially on behalf of M$ IE. Gopher protocol does
not limit anyone to port 70 lets not try and change that.

Chris

--
Join FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://member.fsf.org/join?referrer=3014>