Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2006:
[gopher] Re: Need for protocol changey

To: <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Re: Need for protocol changey
From: "Fabian Dreher" <fabian.dreher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:05:01 +0100

My first question when it comes to protocol changes is: Do we have the
necessary abilities to change the gopher clients' code (e.g. Firefox)?

I agree that a filesize information would be helpful and I'd like to see
some way to resume a download without having to re-download the entire file.
But I'm not yet sold on mime types. MIME requires a lot of work, because
either somebody have to manually attach mime types to the files on their
servers or an automated way to determine mime types is needed. But if there
is an automated way for the server to do this - why can't the client do it
(if the client considers the use of mime types to be sensible)? (Okay, smart
server - dumb client)
Isn't gopher supposed to be some kind of file system? I don't have mime
types on my hard disk's file system, using file extensions is working just
fine. Why do we need it on the internet?

Many questions... I hope you don't mind.

Fabian