Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: October 2005:
[gopher] Re: bucktooth-0.1pr6: perl configure.xinetd fails

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: bucktooth-0.1pr6: perl configure.xinetd fails
From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:54:27 +0200

Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>>[tecnico@kanthaka bucktooth-0.1pr6]$ perl configure.xinetd
>>Unmatched right curly bracket at configure.xinetd line 171, at end of line
>>syntax error at configure.xinetd line 171, near "}"
>>Execution of configure.xinetd aborted due to compilation errors.
>
> Holy cow, I don't know how I could have missed that. I'm trying to figure
> out where that snuck in.

  I just checked bucktooth-0.1pr5's configure.xinetd and, well, guess
what:

tecnico@sole ~/src>$ diff bucktooth-0.1pr{5,6}/configure.xinetd
12c12
< Configure (xinetd) for Bucktooth/$VERSION_D (C)1998-2003 Cameron Kaiser
---
> Configure (xinetd) for Bucktooth/$VERSION_D (C)1998-2005 Cameron Kaiser

  I must have corrected this very same issue when I installed
bucktooth-0.1pr5 time ago, but forgot about it and did not report
the matter.

> Thanks for the report. Actually, I'm getting enough good suggestions from
> people that there will be a spiffier 0.2 coming up Soon (tm).
>
> "When will Now be Then?!"
> "Sooooon."

  I'll stay tuned.  :-)

> John is doing something like that now, but I don't think there was anything
> like that in the good-old-days. :(

  Ah, I'm happy to read there are some people like you, John and this
guy:

http://www.textfiles.com/support/

[...]

        What is of primary concern to me is saving the files
        and text from the 1980's, and that text is located
        on now-aging disks, tape, and even, I dare say, 10
        and 20 meg hard drives. When those media go, that's
        the end of that data, and I know I haven't gotten
        every important file ever created. If you've got
        some old disks that have files you never did
        anything with, please consider sending them or a
        copy of them to me. That stuff is precious; and it
        is rare; and it is finite. That's what matters.

/* More nostalgic stuff */

  Also, some time ago I happened to visit
http://www.lights.com/hytelnet, a directory of public Telnet servers,
last updated on september 4th 1997:

        Hytelnet was the first online, hypertext Internet
        directory, compiled in 1990. It is no longer
        being maintained and none of the links are active.
        If you are interested in linking to library home
        pages and web-based online catalogs, see Libdex -
        the library directory

        The Hytelnet Archive shows the large number of
        telnet sites that were active before the World
        Wide Web came along. Browse through the list of
        early sites which started sharing information
        online. You may also want to see Cameron
        Kaiser's Hytelnet and the Hytelnet-HTTP Museum
        Gateway

  Many library catalogues where available for searches via this
protocol.  In the directory that lists servers on a geographic base,
I searched the list of Italian servers:

Library Catalogs:Italy

    * European Southern Observatory at La Silla
    * European University Institute, Florence, Italy
    * FABRICA: Centro di Documentazione (Venice)
    * International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste
    * Istituto Universitario di Architettura Venezia
    * Istituto e Museo di Storia Della Scienza Firenze
    * Politecnico di Torino
    * Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (Italy)
    * Servizio Bibliotecario Nazionale
    * Universita de Lecce (Italy)
    * Universita di Modena
    * Universita' Ca' Foscari di Venezia (Italy)
    * University of Calabria (Italy)
    * University of Pisa (Italy)
    * University of Siena (Italy)
    * University of Udine
    * Vatican Library (Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana)

  Most host names are no longer valid, and most of those that do
resolve no longer have a telnet service available.  Only three did
still show an active telnet server when I first checked this year:

 "European University Institute, Florence, Italy": it just presents
itself as a SunOS 5.8 machine, but no more public access is available.
 The second server does not seem to be operative any longer, it is the
one at "Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (Italy)", that until last
august would gleefully greet its guests this way:

|              =======                                                 |
|              TTTTTTT                                                 |
|              |O|O|O|   S c u o l a  N o r m a l e  S u p e r i o r e |
|            TTTTTTTTTT                                                |
|            || || || |               B I B L I O T E C A              |
|           ==========          *****************************          |
|           TTTTTTTTTT              DEC ALPHA SERVER 2100              |
|           || || || |           OPENVMS AXP 7.1 (comp.2000)           |
|          ==========                                                  |
|          TTTTTTTTTT       Decnet:   BIBSNS (32759)                   |
|          || || || |       Internet: 192.84.155.29  (Bibsns.Sns.It)   |
|         ==========                                                   |
                     A V V I S O   A G L I   U T E N T I
                     -----------------------------------

A partire da Lunedi' 7 ottobre 2002, il catalogo della Biblioteca della
Scuola Normale Superiore e' disponibile all'indirizzo Internet:

                         http://catalogo.biblio.sns.it
                         -----------------------------

Starting Monday, October 7th 2002, the catalogue of the Library of
Scuola Normale Superiore is available at the Internet address:

                         http://catalogo.biblio.sns.it
                         -----------------------------
Username: BIB
User authorization failure

  But the last one was a real surprise:

telnet (librs6k)

                      *** ON LINE PUBLIC CATALOG ***

           *** Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana & Rete U.R.B.S. ***

                  UNIONE ROMANA BIBLIOTECHE SCIENTIFICHE

                     ----- Geac Advance software -----

    *** alla richiesta di login digitare: winita e da dos opacita
        *** at the login prompt type: wineng and from dos opaceng

           *** Please mail comment   to urbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ***

           *** Attenzione usare ansi emulazione per opac login ***
              *** Please use ansi emulation for opac login ***

login:opac
*                                                                      *
*                                                                      *
*  Welcome to AIX Version 4.2!                                         *
*                                                                      *
*                                                                      *
*  Please see the README file in /usr/lpp/bos for information          *
*  pertinent to this release of the AIX Operating System.              *
*                                                                      *
*                                                                      *
Last unsuccessful login: Wed Jul  6 14:11:55 DFT 2005 on /dev/pts/11
from AAR135.vatlib.it
Last login: Fri Oct 14 20:43:18 DFT 2005 on /dev/pts/0 from 80.68.194.26

UniVerse Command Language 9.4
(c) Copyright 1996 Vmark Software Inc. - All Rights Reserved
ADV logged on: Fri Oct 14 20:46:04 2005

                               Geac Advance System

                     Unione Romana Biblioteche Scientifiche

  14 OCT 2005                Geac Advance (6.7.15.1)
opac  URBS
    20:46             Unione Romana Biblioteche Scientifiche

                            PUBLIC ONLINE CATALOGUE

                        1. SEARCH  Search Online Catalogue

                        2. NEWS    URBS Network Information

                        3. OFF     Quit the OPAC

            Enter the number of your selection and press <ENTER>
                      or  ?  followed by <ENTER> for Help :

  It still works!  It's fully operational, you can actually search
and get book descriptions in a colour ANSII text-mode interface!
  I wonder where in the Vatican they must have forgotten that RS6000
on and running some sofware they could well have lost any notion of.

  Last, but not least:

finger justin@xxxxxxxxx

:-)

--