Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2005:
[gopher] Re: UMN gopherd not logging w/ "-I"

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UMN gopherd not logging w/ "-I"
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:55:32 -0600

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 07:32:08PM -0800, Jeff_W wrote:
> I know this thing is considered obsolete but ...

Worse than that, there are many known security holes in UMN gopherd,
and the expectation is that there are plenty that remain
undiscovered.  For that reason, everyone is strongly encouraged to
cease use of UMN gopherd immediately.

I have developed PyGopherd to be a plug-in replacement for UMN
gopherd.  Its configuration file is different, but it can be set to
understand a complete UMN directory structure.

That's why I have done what I can to officially deprecate UMN gopherd
(I have removed it from my UMN gopher source tree).

So the real answer is: I don't know because I've deleted the code for
my own safety :-)

(Yes, the code is still archived on my server, but really, you should
definately not be running it.)

PyGopherd can, FWIW, log via syslog or to a file, and they do work.

-- John