Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] About Gopher

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] About Gopher
From: Clint Paden <clintpaden@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:03:18 -0500

Hi,

I have subscribed to this list for a while now, and I have read about
many things I dont really know anything about. Anyway, my question is,
is there any resource I can read to learn about some of the basic
principles/rationale that went into the development of gopher code and
logic, and also about some of these more advanced gopher-specific
concepts and terms that are discussed by gopher developers. I would like
to get a handle on these things, a feel for the essence of gopher, if
you will, that the man files do not present, so that I may be helpful in
the future. It would also be good if there is a comprehensive page on
how every bit of gopherd works, how to make a config file that works for
what you want (yes, man and the sample help some, but I want more detail
I guess), but maybe more what I am asking is about the other files (I am
not too clear on all this, but maybe such things as the menu files) that
go into making menus and a lovely gopher site. Thanks for any direction
you guys can give!

cLiNt