Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: April 2002:
[gopher] The handling of +ABSTRACT

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] The handling of +ABSTRACT
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:34:02 -0500

Hi,

Some time back, somebody in this group mentioned that he would like to
see the use of +ABSTRACT increased -- possibly for future use as a
right-clickable item in a filesystem browser, for instance.  I think
that's a great idea.

I would like to figure out what a good way to specify the +ABSTRACT
attribute would be.  I do not know how (or if) Ralph's gophermap files
support specifying that attribute (Ralph?)  UMN supports two formats:

* An Abstract= line in .Links/.names/.cap
* A filename.abstract file containing the abstract.

Pygopherd will be supporting both of these in 0.9.5.

Also, I am planning to add a customizable feature whereby abstracts will
be rendered as info lines following the regular menu entry for
non-Gopher+ clients and similarly for HTTP clients.

I will see if an extra indicator can be presented for UMN gopher so that
clients can see the availability of the abstract information.  Perhaps
gopherc can get a similar on-screen indicator?

-- John