Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: February 2002:
[gopher] Re: UMN gopher/gopherd 3.0.3 available

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: UMN gopher/gopherd 3.0.3 available
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 22:04:02 -0500

Robert Hahn <rhahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would like to take this regex.h business to Apple and see what's up
> with that.  As *I* understand this, OS X has a BSD layer, so IMHO,
> whatever acrobatics you had to do shouldn't have been neccessary. Am
> I naive or what? :)

Heh.  Well.  Darwin appears to have two mutually-incompatible regex
systems, one in regexp.h and the other in regex.h, but they both use
the same function names.  The regex.h is almost-POSIX and the regexp.h
is almost-SYSV.  But neither is quite standard.  So what we have are
two almost-but-not-quite standard systems.  I managed to get regexp.h
to work with hacking.

> So: if you don't have the time to liase with them, could you suggest
> a way that I could report on this? I think it's gonna be more than a
> diff file that'll  be required...

I'd be willing to contact them if I knew how.

> Oh, BTW, I'm intruiged with your Disk Copy idea.  Am I understanding
> correctly that if I create a virtual UFS hard drive with Drive copy,
> and throw the source in there, that it will build and put the files
> in the appropriate directories that just happens to be on an HFS
> partition?  I'm not sure I'm clear with this question... well, can't
> hurt to try it, anyway...

Theoretically, yes.  The question is whether the case-insensitivity
problem arises when the gopher tree is on HFS or when /usr/include is
on HFS.  (I do not have an answer to that question)

-- John