Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Bucktooth+

To: Gopher-L <gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gopher] Bucktooth+
From: Ralph Furmaniak <sugaku@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:37:26 -0500

I thought that some people might be interested to hear that after a
day's work, Bucktooth now supports Gopher+.  This is still a "works for
me" version, though it should work for most people as well.  Everything
in the protocol spec is supported, though I have not tested out ASKs and
searches yet.  There are still a few minor things to fix.

It wasn't that difficult, but I still needed over 120 new lines of code,
nearly doubling the size of buckd (now distinguished for my own purposes
as buckd+

Currently I have it so that it sends the output to a buffer until it
knows exactly how long the output is, so that it can send the nice line
at the beginning.  What do people think of this?  Is it effective or a
waste?

Cameron: you made it so that in the selector everything after a ? is
counted as data and sent to the script like search input.  This seems to
be what you use for dbrowse, but I did not see it in the protocol specs
so it is no longer supported.  Do you want to put this into the
protocol?  How should it merge with the other data sent, or should we
just assume that these exclude each other.  I also apologize for messing
up some of your pretty code.

For most of the Gopher+ data I have it temporarily set up that it looks
for the attributes (aside for info, admin) of FILE in FILE.cap.  How
could this be better implemented?

My solution for views is that if you have, for example, FILE.zip
FILE.gif FILE.jpeg as the 3 views of FILE, you put these into the
directory FILE.dir.  You then have gophermap access FILE, and when it
can't find it it looks for a directory named FILE.dir.  In that
directory there is a file that associates each of the files/extensions
in that dir to a mime type (and language).  I plan for bucktooth to
instead look this up by itself in a mime database, and just have this
file to override the defaults.

What is a good way to check when a file has been last modified (ie for
the admin block).  Keep in mind that this is being done in perl.

I'll fix it up tomorrow, and then I can post it somewhere if you show me
where.  It would of course be nice to post it on my new gopher+ server,
but I'm still trying to work things out with our router/firewall
(virtual servers aren't working on our SMC barricade).

    Ralph Furmaniak