Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2002:
[gopher] Re: finally i find other gopherfans... (gn maintainer)

To: "Stefan Koerner (ROCK Linux)" <ripclaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <bkarger@xxxxxxx>, <stefan.koerner@xxxxxx>, gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: finally i find other gopherfans... (gn maintainer)
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:22:07 -0500

Hello Stefan!

"Stefan Koerner (ROCK Linux)" <ripclaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> i have an entire mirror of the 1997 site archived on tape,
> and the tarball for the last official release up on my homepage
> at http://www.rocklinux.org/people/ripclaw/software/gopher -
> sorry for not having a gopher, it wasn`t secure enough.

I'm glad to hear about someone maintaining gn!  I had thought it had
died out into oblivion.

> seeing other people release something the like is an enourmous
> boost to my morale, and will finally get me onto my ass and fixing
> some of the source soon.

Excellent :-)

If you need any resources (esp. CVS repository or some such), let me
know.

> since you guys probably went through the same thing,
> where is sufficient info on security related changes
> (str*n* functions in C) avialable ?

Hmm.  You might start here:

http://rr.sans.org/threats/buffer_overflow.php

Basically, these functions are often unsafe:

  strcpy
  strcat
  sprintf
  gets

It's because you can copy a string larger than the destination into
it.  In place, you'd want to use the "n" functions -- strncpy, etc.

> i tried feeding the info to my brain from manpages,
> but i seem to misunderstand it.

Feel free to ask any questions here.

> my dreams currently focus on a gopher-only multithreading server
> with ssl/tsl support and a ssh-for-telnet trade.

Nice.

You might want to look over CVS diffs from UMN gopherd to get an idea
of the stuff that has been changed.

> i ran into some compile problems with gopher-3.0.2 on my box,
> i`ll find time and figure out.

You might want to send the build log to me and I'll see what I can
find.