Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: March 2001:
[gopher] The FORG

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] The FORG
From: David Allen <mda@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:21:50 -0500

Hello,

Things have been kinda quiet here recently, but I wanted to drop a
note that I just put the FORG version 0.2 out there.  It's at
http://opop.nols.com/proggie/forg-0.2.tar.gz, with the information
page at http://opop.nols.com/forg.shtml.

As far as protocol is concerned, there really isn't much left to do
with the program other than to make sure it works correctly in all
situations.  The code that handles index servers could be better,
(although it works fine for floodgap's search, since that's what I was
testing it with) and I could probably test it against more ASK
blocks.  Also, the program sometimes gets confused when dealing with
faked HTTP requests, (like when the selector is "GET /" and the
host/port is pointing to somehost.com:80) interpreting them as a file
it does'nt know instead of as HTML.  But that's not really a protocol
issue...

At any rate, grab a copy if you're interested, I think that there are
still some kinks under windows that I need to work out, but I don't
have steady access to a windows machine that I can install the
necessary software on to test it.  I'd love to hear about problems or
suggestions for the program.  Recently I built in a rudimentary
bookmark editor (that isn't 100% functional yet) and also some code to
use the Python Imaging Library if it's required so external programs
aren't needed to deal with images.

What's the status on other gopher related projects?  Where is gnopher?
What about bucktooth?  The veronica code?  Where can I get a copy anyway?

--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/