Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: gopher: January 2001:
[gopher] Re: Gopher "robots.txt"

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: Gopher "robots.txt"
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:23:35 -0800 (PST)

> AFAIK there is only active gopher robot out there, which is floodgap's
> V2.  This is quite a nice situation to be in for doing things right.  If
> we want to keep this good situation, a gopher robot library should be
> created that any other robots would make use of, which encapsulates the
> complexity of this stuff.
>
> Also, I don't think it would be that difficult to add minimal Gopher+
> support to a server, just enough to deliver basic attribute information
> needed to support the robot.

Well, for the sake of argument, say we accept the Gopher+ attributes approach.
That would work on a per-menu basis, which means V2 doesn't have to cache
and I can live with that. Will that satisfy John's concerns about setting
up robot access restrictions to mirrors?

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- M. L. King, Jr. ---