Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2005:
[Freeciv] Modpack for use on large maps, needs testing

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Modpack for use on large maps, needs testing
From: "Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Jul 2005 11:15:23 -0400

I've designed a modpack that is intended to facilitate and enhance
play on large maps. It's been through four or five rounds of alpha
testing (i.e., me against the AI) and is now ready for beta testing
(i.e., you).

If you prefer playing on small maps, such as the default size, please
ignore this modpack and go on about your business; it's not meant for
you, and you aren't likely to enjoy it.

On the other hand, if you prefer playing on larger maps, with more
room to expand and build large civilizations, but have been frustrated
by some things about the default rulesets that are geared toward
smaller maps, then this modpack is for you. If you frequently increase
the size settings when you set up games, you might enjoy this one. If
you've ever wished to increase the maximum map size, or seriously
considered poking into the C code just for that purpose, you
definitely want to have a look at this modpack. (This modpack doesn't
poke into C at all; it's just a content modpack.)

Notable features include:

* Increased movement points for many units, to better differentiate
  fast units from slow ones and to allow fast units to travel further
  on reasonable terrain.

* Increased movement penalty of certain terrain types to differentiate
  them better from the more passable ones.

* Increased defensive capabilities of a number of units to repair the
  play balance. (Without this, the increased movement points gave
  offensive units too much advantage; of course, too much gives
  defense too much advantage. One of the things that needs tested is
  whether the balance is now right. Especially all of the air and most
  of the sea units need testing.)

* Added a number of technologies to the tree, to lengthen the total
  tech tree and allow for somewhat longer games without slowing down
  development too much or finishing the tree too early. More could be
  done here in a future version.

* Added some units and a wonder (Longhua Temple), to make the larger
  tech tree worthwhile. Notable added units include Shadow Warriors
  (Ninja), Samurai, Combat Engineers, Terraformers (last-minute
  addition, needs testing), Anti-Aircraft (needs testing; I couldn't,
  since the AI doesn't build air units), A10 Warthog (close air
  support unit; last minute addition, needs testing), and Jedi (needs
  a lot of testing, and evaluation of trademark issues if there's a
  lawyer in the house).

* Added three terrain types. The map generator only uses one of them
  (Steppe, which it generates instead of Plains; you can "irrigate"
  them to Plains with worker units). Steppe seems to work pretty well,
  but the other two (Alpine and Sahel) I'm less sure about (especially
  Sahel); they need testing, but I think extensive testing has to wait
  until the generator will generate more than the standard number of
  terrain types. Accompanying these changes, Plains and Grassland were
  each granted one additional food (mostly to make Plains more lush
  than Steppe), which seems to work pretty well, but I still want
  additional opinions on this arrangement. Some of the transformations
  on other terrain types were also modified for consistency and
  symetry and to allow the new types to be reached -- e.g., Tundra can
  now be forested (with the Mine command) to Alpine, similar to the
  way plains can be forested (M) to forest.

* There's a tileset to go with all this, called isojhex, which is just
  a modification of isophex to support the new units and terrains and
  such. If you use a different tileset, the game will work, but some
  things will not be visually distinct, so I recommend using the
  provided tileset. No, I'm not a graphics artist and no, isophex
  probably wasn't, in retrospect, the best choice of tileset to base
  it on, and yes, I find the isometric view annoying myself. But it's
  the one I did. If the modpack becomes at all popular, I'll seriously
  consider doing corresponding tilesets for it in the other form
  factors as time permits, or someone else could do that easily
  enough. I did try to correct some of the worse problems with
  isophex, e.g., I lightened up the swamp and jungle so that you can
  tell what they are under fog of war.

I've only tested with version 2.0 (I have 2.0.1 at the moment). I have
no idea whether or how it will work with any other version. Also, I've
only tested on Linux (but, on both Mandrake 9.2 and Debian 3.1).

So, grab this zipfile and unzip it into the freeciv data dir (e.g.,
/usr/share/games/freeciv or the equivalent on your system), then do
civserver -d 3 -r /usr/share/games/freeciv/jbigmap.serv (or substitute
the actual path to where you unpacked it) in a terminal window, run
the client, connect to network game, localhost, and test, test,
test. Post feedback here. Thanks.

http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/jbigmap.zip