Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2005:
[Freeciv] national boundaries

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] national boundaries
From: Sam Steingold <sds@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:41:24 -0400

I tried FreeCiv 2 - congratulations, great game, excellent UI
(too bad city edit dialog is still a pop-up window...)

I have some notes about national boundaries.
I am not sure if this is a bug or an intended behavior,
but it is _NOT_ an act of war to cross them (even with a military unit!)
and even to create a city on my territory
(thus changing the national boundaries unilaterally without a war).
I ruined my reputation canceling treaties with the aggressors and
attacking their troops and cities!

PROPOSAL:

1. crossing a national boundary with a military unit is _always_ an
   act of war (requires cancelling treaty &c).
   exception: sea (ships can travel everywhere) and aircraft (but not
   helicopters)

2. crossing a national boundary with a non-military unit is allowed only
   if there is a special treaty "welcome travellers" (like "map exchange").

3. "pillaging" is also an act of war.

<http://pmw.org.il/> <http://www.palestinefacts.org/>
<http://www.jihadwatch.org/> <http://www.iris.org.il>
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isn't any.