Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2004:
[Freeciv] various comments

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] various comments
From: "Ivan Petrovic" <dark_one@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:50:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!
I started this letter months ago, but various things kept me from
finishing it. Most of it is out-of-date now with v2 coming up, but i'm
sending it anyway. With some luck, it will make a great game even better.
Here goes:

- Science window eventually gets larger than my screen (800x600). Resizing
it does not increase number of columns as it should. Or even better, allow
the list of researched technologies to be hidden. By the way, you might
consider providing an option to sort the technologies in order of
obtaining. That would make the list a bit more usefull.
- Multiple spies can poison a city in one turn, allowing me to bring it
down to size 1 in just a turn or two. Easy cheat to kill a heavily guarded
capital. Recomendation: allow each city to be poisoned once in five moves.
- In v1.14 gray PageUp/PageDown keys affect the log window instead of the
game window. I believe that many people (like me) move units using eight
gray keys (habbit from civ1). If there weren't for KHotKeys in suse 9.1,
i'd return to 1.12 only because of those keys. At least make that
configurable.
- At the end of the technology tree, list of available items on the
production tab gets too long. I'd like a possibility to hide items that I
do not plan to build (obsolete or worthless wonder, unneeded improvements
or units...). That would mean two buttons on the production tab: Hide Item
and Unhide All. Hiding a list item would be game-wide setting, not
city-wide.
- This one you probably have fixed by now: when revolution is done,
message window is above the "Choose government" window, but choice window
is modal - I can not close message window before I move it aside and
choose a government (client version: 1.14.1, came with suse 9.1).
- I almost forgot the most important thing: why in the world did you
change the default tileset? Even if you prefer isotrident to hires (!?!),
why is hires not included anymore? Don't worry about me. I merged the best
of lexxy, hires and ft into a nice new tileset for me, but isotrident
might chase away newcomers and guys that don't hack around.
- That reminds me, serbian nation file is a disaster. I'm not saying that
my version is ideal, but I can prove how bad yours is. Take a map and try
to find cities called Svetozarevo (#21) or Titovo Uzice (#42 in ruleset
file)... You can't find them? That's because when communism went down,
these cities got their original (pre-communist) names back. And that was
back when I was a baby. There are much more things I would change in
choice of cities, their order and especially ruler list (some of those
guys never ruled these lands or led any armies). Let me know if you want
me to send you my ruleset file.

Thank you for making a great game.

Best regards,
Ivan Petrovic