Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: name of worker/engineer

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: name of worker/engineer
From: nicholas.g.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:14:12 +1000

>> > nicholas.g.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > I always associated the term "worker" with the city's population
>> > that was assigned to work in the various terrain squares around
>> > the city. I suggested the term "digger" to be different from
>> > the city's population. Unless a different term exists?
>>
>> jason
>> You have a good point, but "digger" is just a bad term.
>>

>Jim C. Nasby
>What's wrong with calling them engineers?

nick
I object to the term "worker" because I believe
that term already refers to the city's population
working the surrounding squares.

I object to the term "engineer" because I believe
that term already refers to the advanced version
of the unit that only becomes available when the
tech advance of engineering is acquired.

Since the unit under discussion is available
with zero tech advances I wanted a name that
sounds primitive, in keeping with a
non-technologically advanced society. I think
the term "digger" is;
- short
- descriptive
- implies low (actually zero) technology

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.