Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2004:
[Freeciv] Re: List service interruption

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: List service interruption
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:52:16 -0600

To follow up on my own message... the problem was greater than the
viruses alone.  The server www.freeciv.org was sending mail (likely
virus mail) with forged From addresses.  The complete.org server (which
hosts the mailing list) would respond with "450 sender domain must
resolve" (a measure to trap just such problems.  This, unfortunately,
meant that the www.freeciv.org server would continue to try sending
these messages.

It got to the point where, at times, I would receive many of these
attempts *per second* from the www.freeciv.org server.  I decided to, on
a temporary basis, permenantly reject all mail from that server to get
all these viruses out of the system.  (That ban was in place for a total
of about 5 minutes... Hopefully that will clear things up.)

I do not know why www.freeciv.org is sending these weird virus messages;
the To: line seems to be random people under the freeciv.org domain.
Perhaps somebody can check on that.

Thanks,
John