Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] map contribution question

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] map contribution question
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:34:42 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:09:39PM +0200, Horn Gbor wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Pille, thx for your opinion. I have some comments to it:
>

> > Think its no problem to add maps to ~/freeciv/data/screnario/ on
> > pubserver. Ask nouja and i think he will add them.
>
> Thx, i'll do this.

At the moment it is just a 1.14.0 server like the others, running on
port 5575, except that it starts with the given scenario
and doesn't announce itself announced on the metaserver.

The main problem is that no mechanism is in place
to tell users about the specifics of servers running on a particular port.
Somebody has to solve that before we can really run this kind of service
publically.  I suppose a manually crafted webpage would be good enough.

> I think starting positions are absolutely vital in duels. W/o being able
> to set the starting pos, islands have to be very 'homogenous' (or u can
> say  boring) to keep the choices of the player close.
>

> > I can remember something like that was in quakeworld.=20
> > "map dm4" or short "dm4" and you changed to that map. Also cycling was
> > usual.
>
> yes. In quake 3 there's a vote mechanism to change things like that. Any
> player can propose a vote for map changing, if the majoity votes yes
> then the server changes the map to the desired ones. I think it's a
> perfect solution for this, if we  could implement it it would be great.

I think CVS has map/savegame loading at pregame time, but I haven't tried it.
Please if you want to explore this, try it out ...

One interesting solution is a webpage I once found somewhere in .cz;
someone had created perfectly regular Freeciv maps, which makes the
game almost like chess.  (In fact, with the CVS version, implementing chess
as a special case of Freeciv isn't very far off.)

I think small, completely regular maps would be great for serious tournaments.
As an extreme example: give n players an n*10 wide, 50 high map that
consists of grassland, without any specials.

--
Reinier