Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2003:
[Freeciv] Re: Running a Long Turn Server

To: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: FreeCiv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Running a Long Turn Server
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:42:09 +0200

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:14:57AM +1200, banjo wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ive set up the Long Turn Freeciv Game on a box i run,
> and i have some problems/confusion with the whole process.

I haven't run LongTurn Freeciv; I hope the authors of the patch
will reply in more detail.

> To explain, at work my machine is firewalled so i cannot easily connect
> to the server (tho' im working on tunneling for later games) except with
> ssh to run the server, at home im on a dialup connection which is up
> only a small time each night.

You need a server that is up all the time, or a server that saves and
reloads the game in time if it is only up part of the time.

> Freeciv seems to need someone to always be logged in, this not good for
> a long turn game. Does the ai take over disconnected players ?, this
> would also not be good for a long turn game.

I don't know what you mean by "logged in".  civserver must run.
It doesn't need to be connected to a terminal.

> I would like a way to manage a Freeciv server like other daemons,
> currently im pondering an expect-style perl script. I don't want to
> have to leave an ssh session open for several months.

We have software to do it for pubserver.  I have LongTurn Freeciv
installed on pubserver, which took a couple of changes from the usual
setup, but I really have to doublecheck the result and find testers.
Another problem is that I have little time to spend on it.  Please try
IRC (freenode.net) if you want to discuss things.

> Once these issues are sorted i should be able to run more long turn
> games.
>
> How does the metaserver work, is the code available ?

I don't know if it's portable.  I prefer to run LongTurn Freeciv on
pubserver.  Perhaps you can get an account and set it up there.
Most of the work has been done.

--
Reinier