Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: tileset ft + freeciv 1.13-deb + png

To: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Wawrzyniec Niewodniczanski <niewod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, FreeCiv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: tileset ft + freeciv 1.13-deb + png
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:24:56 +0100

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:39:57PM -0500, Jason Short wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 13:02, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczanski wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> > I've just tested diffrent tileset and I have some problems with ft. My
> > freeciv 1.13.0 from deb don't agree to cooperet with png files.
> >
> > 0: Couldn't load gfx file for the spec file
> > /usr/share/games/freeciv/ft/terrain1.spec
> >
> > I have the same problem with intro.spec but I converted intro graphic file
> > png-->xpm.
> >
> > What wrong with ft?
>
> Freeciv 1.13.0 cannot read .png files (except for the win32 client).
> Either use XPM, or upgrade to the 1.14.0 beta2 version.

Um, that version also uses XPM, and so will the 1.14.0 release, if I
understand correctly.  (But that is up to Jason and the other developers.)
The development (HEAD) version in CVS (erroneously also named 1.14.0-beta!)
uses PNG.

> Also note the files must be installed somewhere within the freeciv path,
> although this probably isn't a problem for you.  I suggest putting them
> in ~/.freeciv.

I put them in ~.freeciv.data, and I include that directory
in $FREECIV_PATH.  BTW it would be nice if $FREECIV_PATH supported
an empty component to stand for the default path, so you could write

  $HOME/.freeciv./data:

to prepend this directory to the default path regardless of the Freeciv
version used.

--
Reinier