Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: Polish translations for Freeciv

To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Polish translations for Freeciv
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 18:59:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> players' point of view is, that there are two possible strategies: to buy
> large cities, and many smaller ones (s.c. "smallpox"). In fact, only the
> last mentioned strategy is currently effective, which is somewhat spoiling
> the game, because almost never the players can reach higher level.

Yes, and I think there is an agreement to set up some civservers to test
if doubling science effects of buildings (library, university, lab, etc)
as well as doubling research cost will help, once generalised
improvements code enters cvs.

> My suggestion is to add two more options:
>
> 1. City already surrounded by city walls when built (perhaps not for
> cities, which are founded during Anarchy or Despotism) - of course, only
> effective, when player has got "Masonry"
>
> No comments needed here. Such possibility allow cities easier to survive
> under "smallpoxer's" attack, because attacker in such case will have low
> tech level, and for such military units walls are very effective.

You can already build Great Wall to achieve the same. Also note that this
benefit also makes smallpoxer's cities harder to attack, and one of a
smallpoxers' few weaknesses is often a poor defense.

> 2. Production is 20% cheaper (or arbitrary percent) in cities larger than
>  size of 5  (or arbitrary size, set by player)

This should be caused by a building that gives this effect, not by some
magical, arbitrary effect.

> It'll make city grow more atractive target rather than founding many
> small cities. Additionaly, it'll add some more reality to the game,
> because production - in fact - _IS_ cheaper in large industrial centers,
> rather than in villages.

True. It may be a good idea but I don't know if it is worthwhile. Let's
try out some things when generalised improvements are there.

Yours
Per