Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: how do I change the city label font in the GTK client?

To: Freeciv users <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: how do I change the city label font in the GTK client?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:17:10 +0200

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 10:08:44AM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
>   Dear list,
>
> How do I change the font for the GTK client's city labels?
>
> Attached is how far I got.  I can set other fonts, but not the
> city labels.  Also, I don't know how to view the resource tree;
> editres doesn't work.

paulz found a solution.

1) the font for city names is defined in the tileset.
   it overrides whatever is specified in ~/freeciv.rc;
   a different font can be specified by creating a modified
   tilespec file.  I don't know how o change the font *size* this way.

2) it seems impossible to affect the city name font in ~/freeciv.rc,
   even when the font specification is deleted from the tilespec file;
   this is with the Jun 9 client, on which the latest civworld is based

3) in the Jul 12 client, a new feature has been introduced, by the
   patch Vasco added to Jitterbug PR#1606:

     http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200206/msg00649.html
     http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/bugs/incoming?id=1606

   It extends freeciv.rc with two new sections,
   and although the values used in the default don't seem very
   useful for me, they do allow me to set the city names
   to the font and font size of my choice, for example, adding
   to ~/freeciv.rc

style "city_names_font"
{
}

gives me city names in 48 point Arial.
This setting overrides the specification in the tilespec file.

So the next civworld release will support this, too.

--
Reinier Post