Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: May 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: Documentation about * ?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Documentation about * ?
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 05:16:21 -0600

On 2002.05.30 04:54:39 -0600 Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
>
> > It would also be nice if the documentation on combat resolution was
> > upgraded.  I had a question a while back about how the game engine
> > chose which defender to use, and IIRC the documentation didn't even
> > mention that only a single unit was used in the defense, let alone
> > how it was chosen.
>
> The one with the best chance to survive (i.e. taking all stats into
> account) is chosen.

Yeah, I actually read the code on that one.  However, my point is that
that kind of stuff ought to be in the help pages.

For instance, the help page on the "carrier" unit type suggests
protecting heavily loaded carriers with a battleship.  Apparently it
means "in the same square", since that means the battleship would take
the brunt of any attack.  But I wasn't sure of that until I read the
code... and *after* reading the code I concluded that it would be
better to put a battleship *and* an AEGIS cruiser in the square with
the carrier, since the AEGIS cruiser would then bear the brunt of an
air attack with an effective defense of 16 and the battleship would
bear the brunt of most other attacks with its defense of 12.

It would really help newbies -- and even some of us more experienced
players -- if this kind of information was readily available in the
help text.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas