Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: script to start server and client for beginners

To: Sam Halliday <plendily@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: script to start server and client for beginners
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:11:48 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:23:50PM +0000, Sam Halliday wrote:
> hello everybody.
>
> i just started playing freeciv yesterday, and i was annoyed at all the
> typing i had to do to get it started when i just want to play the AI... so i
> wrote this simple script which loads the server and client, and allows me to
> choose the tiles, saved games and server options file... all i need to do is
> type start to begin play,
>
> i just posted it here incase anybody fancied using it also, it think it is
> very good for beginnners.
>
> all you need to do is edit your freeciv path in the script, and if you have
> any server options files lying around, if you place them in this path with
> *.opt suffix, you will be able to choose them easily.
>
> it cant load additional tiles files you may have, unless you edit the
> script, but this is easily done. if anyone knows how to strip the ending
> *.tilespec from a variable name, i would very much like to hear how... im
> new to script writing.

This is not the frist attempt to do something like this. In the long
run (hopefully not this long) an extra start window for the client is
planned. This will let the user choose "load" and "new" and will also
automatically start the server.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable line noise"