Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv for MacOS X?

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Alexander Reppel <alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv for MacOS X?
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:18:26 +0200

There are a lot of user questions on Freeciv-Dev in the last weeks.

Not that I'm bothered but no user will ever search the Freeciv-Dev
archive for such info.

Is there anything misleading with our website? What made you write
to Freeciv-dev instead of the freeciv user list? No offence meant.

Christian

Am Dienstag,  9. Oktober 2001 12:31 schrieb Jules Bean:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:03:30AM +0200, Alexander Reppel wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I've seen FreeCiv running on one of my friend's Linux boxes and he
> > told me that it is possible to run FreeCiv under MacOS X as well.
>
> Well, freeciv is pretty portable, and I'm almost sure it runs under
> {Free,Net,Open}BSD in which case MacOS X won't be a problem.
>
> But you would need to run the X server; I'm not aware of a native
> (aqua/quartz/carbon/whatever) port. Which just shows how ignorant I
> am, now I check.  The all-knowing, all-seeing Google tells me about
>
> http://bolson.org/freeciv/
>
> which is linked from
>
> http://www.freeciv.org/projects.phtml
>
> Last I heard, although I don't really follow this, there is now an X
> server for MacOS X which you can 'switch' between it and the MacOS
> interface at the press of a button.
>
> > However, I'm not really a tech guy and since I haven't found a Mac
> > version on your homepage I was wondering if you could give me some
> > hints how to get FreeCiv running on my Mac?
>
> Well, once you've got a X server installed, it should be a simple
> case of compiling freeciv.  You'll need to install/compile some other
> libraries first; notably GTK, if you plan to use the GTK front end.
>
> Google suggests the following:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/breic/freeciv.html
>
> http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/Games.html
>
> .... which points to http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hope that helps..

--=20
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *