Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: September 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Connection through Proxy error

To: <vanni.zerauschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Connection through Proxy error
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:09:52 +0200

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 07:50:22PM +0200, Vanni Zerauschek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Freeciv and I need help on connecting Freeciv client to server
> through a Proxy.
> I am using Freeciv for Win version 1.12.0 (from Andreas Kemnade) on Windows
> ME on my notebook. Do not ask me why I am using ME, it was already installed
> on my notebook and I am lazy!
> I am running a free proxy server on my desktop PC, and I configured the
> environment variable $http_proxy on my notebook to point to my Proxy. On the
> ?Connect to Freeciv Server? window I can list the available servers on
> Metaserver. So the environment variable should be right.

Yes, but it works only for HTTP->HTTP proxying.  The connection to
the server, which doesn't use HTTP at all and is usually made to port 5555,
doesn't use the $http_proxy at all.

> When I try to connect to any one of the servers, the client show up the
> message ?No error? and no connection is established.
> Am I missing something?

Yes, documentation to explain this fact.  I didn't anticipate it when I
added $http_proxy support, but last week I saw a different program that
uses $http_proxy in just this way.

> Can Freeciv client connect to servers through a proxy?

Yes, if the proxy supports the Freeciv protocol.  (It must be a
Freeciv->Freeciv passthrough proxy, not involving HTTP in any way.
These products usually aren't called proxies, but port forwarders
or firewalls or something like that.  They can make the Freeciv server
appear on a port of the proxy system, so you can specify that port
in the Freeciv client.  E.g. the Unix SSH server, sshd, supports this.

> Should I configure something else on my Freeciv client or proxy
> server?

I don't know whether your proxy software supports this.

--
Reinier