Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Setuid'ing a Civ Server / Saving games.

To: strub_p@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Setuid'ing a Civ Server / Saving games.
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:45:29 -0500

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 07:49:45AM +0200, strub_p@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>       Currently, when civserver has a setuid, it doesn't save the
> games with the real user ID of the user whose initiates the game. So,
> the games must be saved in a spool owned by the effective user.
>
>       An another solution is to switch real and effective UID
> (setreuid) before opening a file and restore them after.
>
>       Comments ? Regards,

        I'm not entirely sure I understand what you believe the problem to
be.  This is exactly what you *want* to happen in this situation, as
evidenced by Nethack, Robots, and many other games with a longer history
of shared set-UID or set-GID access than Freeciv.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."