Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 2001:
[Freeciv] Re: Isometric Mode

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Isometric Mode
From: Spider Murphy <dragon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:01:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Thue wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2001 15:12, Spider Murphy wrote:
> > Hi! I've dug around in the FAQs, the how-to's, the discussion articles,
> > the isometric screenshots, pretty much looked everywhere short of the
> > source code itself, and I can't figure out how to run the freeciv client
> > in isometric mode. I downloaded the source from CVS just fine, and it
> > compiled smoothly as well, using the GTK+ widgets, but I can't seem to
> > find any options to let me execute the client in that mode.
> >
> > Was there some makefile option I was supposed to set to get isometric
> > mode? I didn't see anything there at the time.
> >
> > Craig Rickel
>
> The isometric mode is the default one. It should be on by default in the gtk
> client. (which it seems you have tried). You are sure you have a recent CVS
> snapshot?
> Try starting the gtk client with "--tiles hires" and see what it says.
>
> -Thue

How terribly odd. :) I found out part of the problem. I was getting a
message during startup that told me the data path wasn't set, that it
couldn't find the hires tile set, and that it was using trident
instead. So, I set it to /usr/local/share/freeciv, ran it again, and then
I got isometric mode - sort of. All the terrain is missing, and a whole
bunch of error messages spooled across the terminal window I was using,
two or three screen worth, all looking like:

1: Don't have graphics tags for t.tundra_n0s0e0w0 or -_n0s0e0w0 for
tile_type Tundra
1: Don't have graphics tags for t.tundra_n1s0e0w0 or -_n1s0e0w0 for
tile_type Tundra
1: Don't have graphics tags for t.tundra_n0s1e0w0 or -_n0s1e0w0 for
tile_type Tundra

except for a few down at the bottom which read:

1: Warning: no wall tile for graphic city.european
1: Warning: no wall tile for graphic city.classical

Also, when the client program was first loading, I got these:

1: Unused entries in file /usr/local/share/freeciv/hires.spec
1:   unused entry: tilespec.is_isometric
1: Unused entries in file /usr/local/share/freeciv/hires/terrain1.spec:
1:   unused entry: grid_main.is_pixel_border
1:   unused entry: grid_extra.is_pixel_border
1:   unused entry: grid_isolated.is_pixel_border
1: Unused entries in file /usr/local/share/freeciv/hires/terrain2.spec:
1:   unused entry: grid_main.is_pixel_border
1:   unused entry: grid_coasts.is_pixel_border

I have no idea what these mean or how to fix it. :) As for having a recent
copy off of CVS, well... I only downloaded CVS last week and ran that
immediately to download the freeciv source files, compiled and
installed. I had an older copy of freeciv around, but I figured it would
write over any old files it found. Thoughts?

Craig