Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: the struggle against city smallpox (was: Some questions)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:47:47 -0500

From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, small maps and generator 1 can make an enormous difference.
An incresed city distance may even help more, but I've never tried
it. Many other variables (researchspeed, diplcost, tehpenalty, landmass, settlers) can have a serious effect. Different rulesets (with things like very-wide-range very powerful military units early on) can change the game completely, but they are not very convenient to use yet, particularly on a public server. I feel there is enough to experiment with even with the existing code base.

Of course, it is good to experiment with existing rulesets, but if you look at the intrinsic advatage of having many small cities rather than fewer large ones, you will see there is little in the current code base that could address this problem properly. Map size and generator do not really make much of a difference because you always get more out of a bunch of small cities tather than building larger ones, especially at the beginning, when expansion is absolutely crucial. Small cites use more tiles, grow faster, and do not need any improvements. So the game is fundamentally biased towards small cities, and unless there is drastic change in the rulesets, it always holds true. Unfortunately, drastic changes in the rulesets may well indtroduce undesirable side effects that's even worse than the problem they are supposed to solve, because they do not address the root of the problem. That said, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Mike