Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 2000:
[Freeciv] status of civserver.freeciv.org

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: [Freeciv] status of civserver.freeciv.org
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:26:56 +0100

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 11:36:35AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote on freeciv-dev:

[reply Cc:ed to freeciv list]

> This reminds me: recently the freeciv.org servers seem to experience periods
> of extreme lag during gameplay, which makes it even harder to stick with a
> game.  Any idea what the cause might be?

The game reporting for http://cviserver.freeciv.org/.  It is a growing
mess of small scripts and binaries that tend to break on a new Freeciv
release, and we only look at it when problems are reported.  I finally
had time this week to upgrade it.  After re-enabling some of the image
generation the system ran out of memory and nearly died.
A check has been added to prevent this from happening in the future.

This may be the state it was in when you had the lag.

We could also add some more web info about the status of games.
(Ping times to players, etc.)

Another traditional source of lag is civserver's poor handling of
unterminated 'zombie' connections.  1.11.4 has improved code to deal
with this, and I think CVS has further improvements, so it's important
for us to find out the source of lag when it happens.

The host appears to be stable again, please report future problems
to the freeciv list.  civserver.freeciv.org admins can usually be
contacted on IRCnet's #freeciv.

--
Reinier