Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: August 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Exp points instead of Veteran status

To: Bevan Broun <bevanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Exp points instead of Veteran status
From: Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:51:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Bevan Broun wrote:

> on Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:34:30PM +0200, Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I like the "over a roughly equal opponent" part. I think now a strong unit
> > can get veteran status against a "cheap" one. This increases the advantage
>
> Or a unit could get better against that type of unit. Ie, if you use
> a riflemen unit against warriors those riflemen are now better at
> fighting warriors but no better against other riflemen.

Ok, but that would be difficult to implement (you need a vector of xp
per unit) and, most of all, to handle during gameplay... after 50
battles, how would you manage all kind of xp vs. unit? Even you have
to modify the client to *show* that information: it will pop-up a
window half-screen wide to show it (per unit!).  To use that feature
in a effective way, you need a lot of micromanagement of your units...

And my point was that riflemen vs. warriors is an easy victory, and you
don't get any experience with it. Units should get xp only if engaged
in real (== hard) battles.  Counting the hp they loose is the only
easy way I see to implement that. It takes into account everything
(terrain, improvements, even luck) that makes life harder for your
troops, as it's even quite close to reality. Real veterans are those
who learned it the hard way. Cheap victories don't count...

> BB
> --
> Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
> Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065
> Dept. Electrical and Electronic Engineering
> University of Western Australia                                 rm. G70

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo