Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Freeciv

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Freeciv
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 03:38:20 -0500

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> The interesting one for this discussion is "play a solo game".  This option
> launches
> the server with a --solo switch, lets you set the desired server settings
> with a GUI,
> and then when you tell it to start, it starts the server process *and*
> launches a
> client, telling the client which server to connect to.

That wasn't very clear.  What I should have said was, it starts the server with
the
--solo switch, and after you've selected the desired server settings and told
the server
to start, then the *server* launches a client and tell the client to connect to
itself.
(The --solo switch is what tells the server to do this.)

Thus to the solo player it looks more or less like one of the commercial civ
games: you
start the game, click some options, and play.  The various option selections are
actually offered by different processes, but that is transparent to the user.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas