Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: March 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: are there anybody?

To: garako@xxxxxxxxxxx, <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: are there anybody?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 18:37:51 +0100

> But now I'm in trouble. I've installed the Freeciv 1.10.0 version on my =
> system (Red Hat Linux 6.0). Everything went well, but after starting =
> civserver and civclient, to connect my server (localhost) didn't succed. =
> The error message was: Network unreachable.=20
>
> I don't use any network service on my PC,

Freeciv is a client-server application, so you need a pseudo-network:
the loopback interface (which allows you to connect to your own machine
as 'localhost').  Look it up in your Redhat manual, it's a standard
network configuration option.

> (though I have a modem, but it is an inner one, that Linux doesn't like =
> too much...). Should I install any network on my Linux? I tried it using =
> the install CD-ROM as an upgrade, but it was not offered, like at the =
> time of first system installation.

It's in the network configuration tool, but I'm not running Redhat 6.0
so I'm not sure which config tool it recommends or how it works.
I think its name is 'netcfg'.

I need a detailed answer to this in the FAQ, people keep asking.

--
Reinier