Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: NNTP server?

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: NNTP server?
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:25:43 +0100 (MET)

> Yes.  Sigh.  Why can't everyone use a good mail client like GNUS? :-)

I use gnus for news ... but for some weird reason I'm still sticking to
pine for mail.  I'm traditionally giving mail top priority and reading the
mail chronologically rather than threaded and grouped.  For ordinary mail
and low-volume mailinglists I think that makes perfect sense as long as I
don't have too long breaks where I can't read mail.  For ordinary mailing
lists and a lot of the other crap that comes into my inbox, it doesn't
make sense at all.  But I'd rather say that those things (principially)
never should have dumped into my mailbox than that it's something wrong
with my simple mail client.

> Actually if it becomes part of Usenet, then NNTP becomes vastly less
> efficient than SMTP because the articles are copied so many times to
> so many different servers where, statistically, only a minority of
> people read them.

I know, I know ... UseNet, NNTP .. and even gnus .. is far from perfect,
but the idea is good anyway.  I think there are a lot of news servers that
takes in only the groups that somebody requests, and I also think it
should be a lot better to set up local newservers for a group of people
(say, me and those I'm living with) than to let each subscribe
individually to a mailing list (one possibility is of course to set up a
mailing alias locally and distribute it as a local mailinglist ... but ...
NNTP is better suited for the task, I'd daresay)

--
Tobias Brox (alias TobiX) - +4722925871 - _urgent_ emails to
sms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  Check our upcoming MMORPG at