Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy
From: Steven Burnap <sburnap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:08:24 -0800

At 01:48 AM 2/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
Arkadiusz Danilecki wrote:

> > It seems to me that an "ancient European" version would have, at minimum:

Actually, our modpack isn's specifically "ancient European", but it is biased
toward Mesopotamia, the Mediterranean basin, and adjoining regions. Still, we
might be able to use some of the nations mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, I know, I was just avoiding listing other areas of the world as it is more
problematic.  For example, we really have no knowledge at all of anything in
the Americas for that time period. You could call the Incas, Mayans and Toltecs "Ancient",
but they really come from about a thousand years later.

But you could add:

Chinese
Indian
Nubian

And if you are willing to muck with time a little as above;

Korean
Japanese
Mongel
Polynesian

By the way, it might be an appropriate time to mention that "Souix" is not really the appropriate thing to call the people in question. Those tribes call themselves the "Lakota" and some find
"Souix" insulting.

This (as Chinese = Han) brings up an interesting point in that if you attempt to call each country by its native name, your just going to create confusion. You will have to start calling the Germans "the Deutsch", for instance. Ideally, the country names should be in the whatever language the particular version of civ is, so that Americans see "Chinese", "Japanese" and "German", while the German version has the "Deutsch", the Chinese version the "Han" and the Japanese version the
"Nihon" (sp?).

(Same goes for leader names, IMHO.)

Steve