Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] problems connecting serv/client

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] problems connecting serv/client
From: "Otto Beinschob" <beinschob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:27:55 CET

I've got a problem with internal networking (if you can call it so)
for Freeciv, it's neccessery to build up a connection from
server program (civserver) to client (civclient), but it doesn't
work.
The client program says `Network is unreachable'. But the port number
seems to be correct, even in /proc/net is the correct (in hex) number written.
But client is giving me this error message. So i've tried to find
the problem with rpcinfo
I gave in the command line `rpcinfo -p localhost' and it says to me:

rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Network is unreachable

so i've tried to start portmap with `portmap -d' and it said

portmap[309]: cannot bind udp: Address already in use

#
Here are some information about my system:

Following services are installed and loaded at boot up:
INET (inetd)
SMTP (sendmail)
RPC (portmapper daemon)
syslog services
CRON
identd
lpd
random
and sometimes: gpm

Hardware:
I am using PS/2 mouse and keyboard
AMD 333 MHz CPU on a Gigabyte Mainboard GA-5AX (Ali-Chip)
Soundblaster Live! with the emu10k1 E-mu APS driver 0.4 (kernel module)
Creative 3D Blaster Banshee AGP
Linux kernel 2.2.13 (stabile) and whole system is on a IBM Ultra-IDE Hard-Disk

in addition, i've got a PCI modem (ELSA Microlink 56k) which is _not_
correctly set up yet (also 3DFX support for Banshee but i think that is
not the point!)

But everything is running correctly (X11R6, window manager, programs, ...)
It isn't a Y2K problem because it didn't work before.

that's about my hardware so.
Please send me an answer to beinschob@xxxxxxxxxxx
If you have not too much time to explain completly, please send me at least
a hint where to get information about the topic.

Thanks for reading and regardful
(sorry for my bad english...)

Patric Beinschob                2000/01/30