Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: Another wonder

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: Another wonder
From: John dillick <jdillick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:42:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> Lex Spoon wrote:
> >
> > Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Yeah, I thought of that :-)
> > > There is a advantage too, though. Searching for other research has never
> > > been easier, for example, and also don't forget that much of the early
> > > Internet work was done in Universities to provide a means of rapid
> > > comunication to increase productivity.
> > >

> > Definately.  I'm a grad student, in a stage where I'm looking up dusty
> > papers all the time, and I don't even have to wander down to the library
> > very often.  Much less have to do interlibrary loan or send mail to the
> > authors requesting a copy.
> >
> > Don't forget trade, too.  eBay is only the beginning; the Internet in
> > general lets buyers and sellers hook up.
> >
> > Lex
>
> Well this begins to bring up the fact that a "wonder" like the internet
> benefits more than the building nation.  While making it more realistic
> that makes it also a little less advantageous in a game setting.
> --
> Paul Zastoupil

Well, you could still have internet in the game setting.  But maybe not as
a wonder, but as a tech advancement.  Then the first country to make the
wonder "direct internet access for everyone" could have internet in all
their cities.  Where every other nation would have to build internet
infrastructures in every city.  Then you would just have to decide how the
internet would benefit the individual city.

regards,

John